Slow and Steady Wins the Race

A long run and a broken head

on July 8, 2010

This past Friday I took the day off from work so I could get my long run in and then drive up to the mountains for the 4th of July holiday.  My Dad and step-mom have a house up in Blowing Rock and the family and some friends were all gathering for a fun holiday weekend.  My brother even flew in from Hotlanta and rode up to the mountains with me.

I had 10.5 miles on the training schedule and headed out to the American Tobacco Trail (ATT) for some flat, dirt, shaded love.  It was about 8 in the morning when I got started and my brothers plane was set to land around 11:30 and I figured I would drive to the airport when I was done to pick him up.  I set out on the trail and since this was only my second time running it I had a new adventure to see where this direction would take me.  I ran the opposite direction last time.  I found it pretty funny that after only a few miles I ran into another county.  I had no idea that I was so close to the county line.  Another new adventure was using the Gu gel for the very first time.  I have been wary of the gels because I have a thing about texture.  I bought the Chocolate Outrage hoping that if it was chocolate it couldn’t be that bad.  Oh Mah Gah.  It was NASTY.  I thought I was going to hurl after the first little bit I put in my mouth.  I sucked it up though and knew I had to get it down.  I managed to get it all in me and without losing the contents of my stomach.  I will stick with the Chomps from now on, thank you very much.

My run was pretty uneventful for the most part.  There weren’t many people on the trail, but enough that I passed someone every 10 minutes or so and I wasn’t too nervous being out there alone.  I took my phone with me though just in case.  At one point I passed an older lady on a bike for about the 3rd time as I was nearing the end of my run and she said “Oh my, you are going a long way!”

I also have to mention the “bathrooms” on this trail.  Bathroom is a loose term.  They have four walls and a door.  The toilet is essentially an open septic tank.  No, really.  It is.  Think of it like a porta potty that doesn’t port.  The container for the pee and poo is much bigger but you still get the full effect of the smell.  There is also no sink or water of any kind.  There was hand sanitizer though.  That was the second time I wanted to hurl.  I think I will just pee behind a bush from now on.  It would be much more pleasant.

I finished up my 10.5 in about 2 hours and 15 minutes.  Now for the broken head part.

As I made my way back to my car, stretched and got ready to go to the airport I got a phone call from my son’s school.  He fell on the stairs on the playground and split his head open.  I have to mention that he has split his head open once before at home.  What is it with the kid and knocking his head around.  He gets his lack of coordination from me.  I had so many x-rays as a kid, I should glow in the dark.  This is what it looked like when I rushed to the school to go pick him up.

The gash

I don’t know if you can see it in this picture (I can) but the scar from his previous head wound is just to the left of the new cut (it is a vertical scar).  Ian was a trooper and only cried for a bit when it actually happened.  His teacher was a bit traumatized by the event though.  Of course my brother sends me a text when I am driving to the school that he has landed.  I had to coordinate with my husband to go get my brother while I picked up the kid and took him to the Doctor.  Don’t forget, I just ran 10.5 miles.  I am sweaty, in my running clothes and starving.  I apologized several times to the staff at the Doctor’s office for being so smelly.  They were nice and said they couldn’t smell anything, but I know they were lying.  Ian got his head glued back together (I LOVE DERMABOND!).  I am so glad we haven’t had to do stitches so far.  Ian was pissed when we had to hold him down to glue the skin back together, but he got to pick a prize and got some lollipops so it was all worth it in the end in his eyes.

Here is his freshly glued head.

All better!

After all that insanity, I had to run home, shower, pack and hit the road to the mountains!  A post about the trip is coming soon.  I just gotta find the time to write it.


3 responses to “A long run and a broken head

  1. Oh my gosh! Poor Ian!! Although he doesn’t look too distraught in these photos. 🙂 So glad he’s okay. Looking forward to your July 4th mountain photos!

  2. Christine K. says:

    How is your son doing now? Any scarring from this wound? My son had an accident a couple nights ago (split his chin open). It looked similar to this wound, but was under his chin. We took him to ER and they used Dermabond. I’m just concerned about scarring. How did this heal? Any advice for caring for the wound after the glue comes off?

    • Ann says:

      He does have a scar on his forehead, but it is just a barely visible white line. Most people never notice either of the scars on his forehead from his dermabond adventures. The glue stays on for a quite a while. I have actually had to work at getting that stuff off after the cut has healed. Hope your son is doing okay!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: