Slow and Steady Wins the Race

The One About After The Surgery

on April 14, 2010

We had to be at the hospital at 7 in the morning yesterday to check Ian in for his surgery.  The hospital is in North Durham.  We didn’t make it at 7 and got there around 7:30.  I got up at 5:30, but we can never seem to make it out of the house on time when we have somewhere to be in the early morning hours.

We got checked in and didn’t have to wait long before they took him back to pre-op.  I was happy to see that every person we encountered asked what procedure he was getting and were thorough in taking his medical history.  I think I have seen too many Dateline’s or 20/20’s about people that had the wrong operation performed on them.  All the times I thought about the moment they would take him back for the operation I just knew I would fall apart.  I actually stayed very calm.  I think the staff made me feel like they knew what they were doing and Ian wasn’t upset, so it was fine when they rolled him away.  The surgeon was spot on when he said the whole thing would take 45 minutes.  He came out pretty much on the dot to tell us it all went fine.  It took more time than they told us it would to call us back to recovery and that was a little nerve-wracking.

When we saw him in recovery he was crying, no surprise there, but he was also dealing with a side effect from a pain med they gave him.  His nose was itching like crazy.  Poor thing.  I got him calmed down once I held him for a bit and then it only took about 30 minutes to get wheeled up to his room.  I thought for sure we would have a terrible time trying to get him to eat or drink anything.  He shocked me by eating french fries from Chick-fil-A just a couple hours after surgery.  After that he ate some pancakes and drank lots of chocolate milk.  We even got a few popsicles in him.  Jack left the hospital around 6ish to go home to let the dog out and sleep at home.

Ian and I did okay for a while until about 11pm when it was time for pain meds again and he was well past the time for a dose.  His throat was hurting and he was in no mood to drink a little cup of medicine.  This is where the battle of taking his medicine begins.  I spent a good hour trying to get him to drink a Tablespoon of Tylenol.  After that our night didn’t get much better.  For one hospital beds really suck and I was sleeping next to a kid that woke up every 30 minutes or so cause he couldn’t breathe through his nose and had to mouth breathe all night.  The mouth breathing led to a dry throat, which led to more pain when he had to swallow.  We also had the fun of his IV being blocked up at 5am.  When the IV thing happened the nurse also discovered some blood on the sheets and we couldn’t figure out where it was coming from.  That freaked me out.  Turns out his IV had come out of his arm and the blood was from the fluid mixing with blood from his arm.  The good part about the IV debacle was the nurse just went ahead and took it out.

I think in total we both got maybe 4 hours of sleep.  When we did get to sleep someone had to come in check his vitals.  How can anyone get “better” in an environment where you can’t get any sleep.

Today, the battle of take your medicine has raged on.  My kid used to be a champion at taking medicine.  He was on reflux meds for the first year of his life and never gave us a problem with that.  Motrin and Tylenol have never been a problem until now.  It’s obvious this is a control issue.  That doesn’t stop me going batty though when it takes 30 minutes for him to drink an itty bitty cup of Tylenol.  We tried the syringe method and the kid is a master at spitting it all back out.  And for the first time in his life he has to take an antibiotic.  We did find a method of mixing the antibiotic with grape juice and getting him to drink it that way, but again it takes FOREVER!  My husband says it actually tastes fine.  I will have to take his word for it since the drug is amoxicillin and I am allergic to it.

His eating today has sucked.  He ate a soggy bowl of Golden Grahams this morning, a popsicle this afternoon and some chocolate ice cream for dinner.  They did tell us the pain would get worse as the days went on so I expect this trend to continue up to about day 7.  I feel bad for Jack since he has to fight the medicine battle alone tomorrow.  This weekend is going to be F-U-N.  Days filled with keeping a 3 year old from over exerting himself and getting him to drink a tiny cup of medicine.

In the end I know all this will be worth it.  I just can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel on 10 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours.  Hopefully, tomorrow is a better day.


3 responses to “The One About After The Surgery

  1. gabrielle says:

    I’m so glad the surgery went well, but I’m sorry you’re having a bit of a rough time with the aftermath. Poor little dude. And poor Mom and Dad! Hopefully, you’ll get lots more sleep tonight!

  2. Janet says:

    I hope things are getting better. Wishing you guys only the best JPM

  3. Amy W says:

    I hope he is doing better now.

    I have a 6 year old who is a nightmare when it comes to taking medicine. I coax her with chocolate…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: