Slow and Steady Wins the Race


on November 4, 2009

No, I don’t have chronic hiccups.  I have had a lot of training hiccups here lately though.  My training in the month of October was spotty at best.  I hit my 33rd birthday on October 16th and it all went downhill from there.  The weekend of drinking and debauchery threw my weekend run out the window.  I managed to get back on the horse for my usual Tuesday run the following week, but then I caught the plague that is going around our office and was down for the count for a week and a half!  I managed to get off the couch on Halloween and go for a little 2 mile run and felt like I was sucking air through a straw.  My pace was still pretty good though considering (12:30).  I am hoping I can get back into the swing fully now since I was also able to go for my usual Tuesday run yesterday.  I hit a local green way trail with coworker, Caroline, instead of running in the office park.  It was a nice trail that was pretty flat and I look forward to running it again on Thursday.

In other non-running related news, we had a very eventful Halloween.  Unfortunately, it didn’t involve trick-or-treating or pumpkin carving.  While we did carve pumpkins, Jack’s was left half-finished because we had to make a dash to the ER with Ian.  He was sick all last week with a fever and body aches, but no other symptoms (no coughing, sneezing, runny nose).  We gave him Motrin to control the fever and that seemed to be doing the trick.  He was still playing and his normal self for most of the week.  Then on Friday he lost his voice.  It was strange.  We figured it was just a side effect of the cold or mild flu he had.  Saturday morning came and his voice was completely gone.  He wasn’t really coughing all that much or anything just no voice.  We called his  Pediatrician emergency line and they said to watch him and call back if he developed a rash, a fever over 101 again or had trouble breathing.  All was fine until we put him down for his nap.  He never fell asleep and ended up crying and coughing and spiking a fever again.  It sounded to me like he was having trouble breathing cause he was making a squeaky sound when he would breath in.  He was lethargic and just generally unhappy.  So, we called the Pediatrician emergency line again.  After some discussion the nurse listened to him over the phone and said to bring him in.  I figured that was going to happen.

Off to the ER we went.  We also had to go to Big WakeMed because they have a children’s ED and can admit kids if needed.  None of the hospitals closer to us can do that.  We got there and got into a room fairly quickly and they gave him some liquid steroids for inflammation in his throat and a breathing treatment.  They also had to start an IV which sucked big time.  Ian was pissed about the nasty steroid medicine, having the breathing treatment and now they were holding him down and sticking needles in his hand.  Poor kid.  They also x-rayed his throat to see narrow his windpipe was.  After a few rounds of x-rays they thought they saw something deep in his throat and said the best way to get a picture was a CAT scan!  Ugh.  I have to say through the x-rays and CAT scan the kid was a trooper.  All the technicians that worked with him were amazed at how well-behaved he was and of course said he was adorable.  When he was getting the CAT scan my heart almost broke as his chin was quivering and he was asking to get OUT OF THE SCARY ROTATING MACHINE.  I was thankful that I was able to stay in the room with him during the scan though and hold his hand.  After all the tests, the results came back that his throat was fine and his labs were clean.  The official diagnosis was Croup.  The Doctors were concerned though about his ability to breath overnight so they admitted him for observation.  Yay, a night in the hospital.  Just my kind of Halloween.  We didn’t get into a room until almost midnight and then Ian woke up like every hour crying.  When he cried his oxygen level in his blood would dip and send the meter he was wearing to monitor it into a frenzy of beeping and I mean REALLY LOUD BEEPING.  I was in the hospital bed with him and Jack was sleeping in the most uncomfortable recliner ever made.  I think everyone got about 2 hours of sleep.  Ian’s voice came back a bit on Sunday and he was fed Popsicles and ice cream or anything under the sun to get fluids in him and prove to the doctors that we could get liquid into him.  We all just wanted to go home.  We were freed right before lunch time and were so happy to be home.  This past visit makes Ian’s 3RD trip to the ER.  I told him that we really didn’t need to have a number 4.  He is on the mend now though and we just celebrated his 3rd birthday on Monday.  I hope that year 3 can be hospital visit free.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: